lets be honest, I used to LOVE burning candles. I was that girl that was hitting up store after store to stock up on all my favorite scents. I was seriously obsessed. I not only would have them placed throughout the house, but I loved giving them as gifts. If you did not find a candle in every room, there was definitely a plug-in somewhere. I was all about things smelling good; my laundry, my home, and even I was doused in some high dollar fragrance perfume.
Now lets fast forward to October 2017, when I decided that it was time to take control of my health. For most of my life I was not as concerned with what I was allowing into my body as I should; whether that be toxins or food (insert face palm). It was during this time that I really started to open my eyes to what I was putting in and on my body, and allowing inside the walls of my home. So, I decided to research! and when I say that I started to research, I mean it: I read article after article, study after study, and testimony after testimony about artificial fragrances causing health issues. I even read the startling fact that burning a candle (other than soy or beeswax) for an hour is equivalent to smoking a cigarette. Pretty sure I fell out of my seat when I read that. The word “fragrance” is thrown on basically every label and is just a blanket word for nearly 300+ chemicals. Chemicals that have been banned in other countries, but that we find in our shampoos, lotions, and candles. Here we are, just trying to live our best lives not even realizing that we are poisoning ourselves. No wonder so many of us walk around with headaches, feeling fatigued, having sleep issues, an inability to focus and more. So, I decided to say “no more”. I decided to change my life for a more clean environment with the use of essential oils and I haven’t looked back since.
Essential oils are made from pure plants. They are basically the immune system of the plant and act the same way in our bodies. When you diffuse pure, therapeutic grade essential oils, you aren’t filling the air in your home with artificial fragrance, you are filling it with 100% pure plant matter. But, let’s get one thing straight, not all oils are created equal. I chose Young Living essential oils for several different reasons. One of which is that they own their own farms all over the world. They have a very open door policy in the sense that they let you actually go and visit at anytime to see the whole process. I am actually hoping to visit the lavender fields in Utah this year. Young Living also have a very rigorous testing process and the only company to have the “Seed to Seal” standard, which is so important. Not only does Young Living have the best essential oils on the planet, they also have oil infused products like make up, baby wipes, laundry detergent, personal care products, supplements and so much more. Having all these plant based and natural products in one place makes my shopping experience so much more easy and convenient. I love all things convenient.
I USE OUR OILS FOR SO MANY THINGS, BUT I WANTED TO GIVE YOU MY TOP 10 WAYS I USE ESSENTIAL OILS:
1. SCENTING MY HOME. I love that I can diffuse Stress Away, and it instantly takes me to the beach! With hints of lime and vanilla, it helps me to calm down. (especially after a long day of counseling children)
2. CHEST RUB. I love using Raven essential oil as an all natural chest rub. I simply take a tablespoon of coconut oil with a couple drops of this oil and we are all breathing easy!
3. WATER ENHANCER. Young Living is the only company that has a whole line of essential oils specifically labeled for dietary usage. I love adding a drop of Lemon Vitality to my water or wellness tea. It gives it such a fresh taste and hello detox.
4. MUSCLE RUB. PanAway has hints of Wintergreen and Peppermint which makes it tingly and cooling at the same time. This is my go-to for after long, intense work outs! I love mixing it with coconut oil to make the best muscle rub ever.
5. SLEEP SUPPORT. Sometimes I find it a little hard to wind down in the evenings, but with Lavender by my side, all is right in the world. My room smells like a spa!!
6. TUMMY SUPPORT. You guys don’t get me wrong, I love a good Taco Tuesday, but queso does me wrong sometimes. Insert DiGize. This gem helps with all of the stomach things…I’ll just leave it at that.
7. IMMUNE BOOSTING. So thankful that I cleaned out my medicine cabinet and have a whole squad of wellness enhancers. From colloidal silver, to elderberry, to my Thieves essential oil….so, I am over here staying above the wellness line and staying healthy.
8. BREATH SPRAY. I use to be a major gum chewer until I discovered how to make my very own breath spray with oils. I use 8 drops of Peppermint Vitality mixed with some of the Thieves mouthwash in a spritz bottle and there you have it, no more coffee breath!!
9. ODOR ELIMINATOR. One of the main reasons I had so many scented candles and plug-ins was to keep odors away. Certain foods we cooked seemed to linger, stinky trash…no thanks! Enter Citrus Fresh essential oil also known as ‘odor be gone’. A couple drops of this guy on cotton balls around the house and your home will be smelling so fresh and so clean.
10. PERFUME. I missed not being able to smell like my favorite (at the time) fragrance. Now, I simply customize scents to create my very own scent. I love the earthy, grounding smell of Frankincense mixed with the fresh, floral scent of Lavender, add a splash of pure vanilla extract and mix with witch hazel, and there you have it, your very own safe, delicious smelling perfume.
Making the switch to essential oils and ditching toxins doesn’t have to be complicated or confusing. You don’t have to start out with a huge collection and feel like you need to be a brilliant aromatherapist. Just get a couple of the “basic” oils, a diffuser, and you’re set. I am also here to help you along the way, teach you, share with you, and encourage you. If you’re ready to take the leap, just follow these steps:
+ Go to https://yl.pe/bnb8
+ Select “MEMBER”
+ Pick your diffuser
+ Add in anything extra you have your eye on
+ Put in your info and check out!
If you are curious to learn more I am constantly educating others via live Facebook events or in person coffee meet ups. Shoot me a DM on my wellness IG account (@wellnesswithcait) or email me here and we can connect! Cheers to learning + living better!